Friday, January 11, 2013

No new resolution zone

2013. Happy new year!

I didn't make any resolutions this year. Maybe it's because when I searched within myself to find out what a new calendar year means to me, I reminisced about 2012. And, I was reminded of the following passage in Ecclesiastes: "So what do people get in this life for all their hard work and anxiety?"

Good question I thought. All my hard work in 2012 and years prior had to be worth something, right? Then, I read the answer in the following verse, "Their days of labor are filled with pain and grief; even at night their minds cannot rest. It is all meaningless."

Depressing right? That wasn't the answer I wanted. But yes, it can be depressing. Especially if a life challenge just finished beating you down. And, I got beat up heavily in 2012, especially from a business standpoint.

I mean, I know there is a point to working hard in life. There are goals to set. There are people to love and care for. There are contributions you can make to improve society. And, that's what the author of Ecclesiastes was trying to tell us by saying just the opposite.

"All is meaningless under the sun." It doesn't mean quit. It means being thankful for what you have. And, it also talks about stress and worrying TOO much to get to a place in life that takes you away from your true purpose.

Simply put. PICK YOURSELF UP! ENJOY LIFE!

And, you know what else? Take it all in stride. It's easier said than done, I know. How about we start by being thankful?

So this year, instead of a resolution, I decided to refocus on "thankfulness." Not just this year, but hopefully for years to come. It's not a resolution, it's a lifestyle.

My aim is to highlight three things I'm thankful for every week. So here it goes.


Week #1 (January 1 - 8, 2013)

  • Date with Lincoln: Alexa and I went to see "Lincoln." I enjoy history, especially in relation to today's politics. When I saw the previews last year, I made a note to myself: GO SEE LINCOLN! The time escaped us in 2012. But when the opportunity came last Saturday, we turned it into a date afternoon.
  • Comfy Christmas Gifts: I enjoyed all the presents I received from family. They were great! But, I enjoyed giving more. I'm thankful I was able to share in the gift-giving. But that was 2012. In 2013, I get to use my gifts. And by far, one of the most used are the 2 pairs of comfy, warm home slippers my brother gave me. I wear one or the other (not both) every day.
  • Impromptu Friend Visit: If you have toddlers, you know it's hard to get away and spend grown up time with friends. I'm thankful for my sister who had a sleepover with all her nephews and nieces (Gideon and Lucia make up 50% of that group). This allowed Alexa and I to party all night - or at least past our usual bedtimes. We visited friends in Jersey City, my hometown. While Alexa and I spent most of our time talking about the kids, our friends (who don't have kids of their own yet) seemed to enjoy hearing our stories. Hopefully, we didn't scare them. Next time we promised to talk more about other stuff, like God, politics, and music.

Hope to see you next week!

Alex



No comments: