Monday, July 13, 2009

Swim Classes at the YMCA.

You may not think to look at me now, but I used to be a swimmer. I was on a swim team at the YMCA in Ridgewood, and I used to love it. Lately, I have been thinking of getting back to doing laps to lose weight. However, I am afraid that the lifeguards will mistake me for a beached whale and call the Coast Guard. But, this post is not about me. It's about Gideon's swim classes at the Y. We started last Saturday, and I have been very excited about it for weeks. I think it is really important for kids to know how to swim, and feel comfortable in the water.

I occasionally would mention the classes to Gideon, but Gideon has no sense of time. If I tell him that we are going to do something, he thinks it means IMMEDIATELY, and rushes to the door. So, I tried not to get him too excited about swimming, because he would start crying if we didn't get into a pool AT THAT EXACT MOMENT.

Here are some photos of the time in the pool. Forgive the quality, since someone who I will not mention forgot to lift the flash thingy. Someone whose name is Alex.
Getting ready to go in. No, I don't know why I look like a crazed squirrel. Focus on the cute boy looking at the pool with trepidation.

Sitting on the edge, about to jump in. One of the important things we learned was to jump in, and then immediately turn around and grab the edge. That way, if he ever falls into a pool, he can instinctively hold on to the edge.

I am explaining that he cannot splash the other kids in the face, nor kick in their general direction. There were some cry babies in that class, and they did not like getting splashed.
Waving at daddy. Look at his totally fake smile.


Also, please please notice how Gideon's hairstyle very closely resembles a certain TV mom with eight children. Yes, Kate Gosselin's hairstyle! Maybe that is how she gets that hair. She gets into a pool with a million children. Gideon's is of course, completely natural. No stylist for him.

1 comment:

Bryna said...

Alexa, you crack me up!

Nola is my little swim bug right now too. She absolutely loves it and does NOT want to get out of the pool. Someday I will get her inrolled in swim lessons too. And I'm sure she will have her fair share of crybabies in the class as well. Hopefully, she won't be one of them. :)