Friday, October 12, 2007



October 11, 20007

Dear Gideon,

Today is a pretty big deal. One year old. We have been practicing with you for weeks, trying to get you to stick up your pointer finger when we ask, “Gideon, how old are you?” And when we demonstrate, by sticking up our own finger, you clap for us. Because really, we are here to entertain YOU, not the other way around.

I know this is going to sound a little silly, but I really thought I had a lot more time until you turned one. How can an entire year have gone by? Where did it go? Maybe it went by while you learned to say “Da-da and Mama!” Or it flew past us when we were reading our books. What about when you learned to put your hands on the floor and push off and hey… you were crawling! Maybe that is when the year went by. It was a nice year, but a scary year too. But a year that made mommy and daddy stronger people. This year said to us: “Hey you parents! You are going to learn to trust the hard way.” And we learned that you have to let go and allow God to have control.

You are already showing us that you can be independent, and a bit strong-willed. Why can’t you play with the remote control all day? Why do we insist on making you sleep in your crib, when our bed is so comfy? If you don’t give me what I want, I am going to bunch up my fists, and make the angry face. I kiss your angry face! You hate that.

It’s hard, this parenting thing. We want you to always be happy, but we also want to teach you. And sometimes, the teaching you things, gets in the way of the happiness. Confusing, right? But, please know this, my son: We love you more than anything in this world. Daddy and I pray for you every night, and you have made our lives complete.

One day when you are older than one, you will read this and think, “Daddy is right, Mommy IS a big baby.” But as of today, you are the baby…my baby. And you are turning one today. And since I tend to be a teeny bit emotional, my eyes are getting a little bit teary. So, happy birthday, my son.

Love,

Your Mami (which you know how to say, but REFUSE to.)

3 comments:

Shinae said...

Gideon, I'm sorry I can't say it in person, but "Happy Birthday!".
I really want to see you and miss you all!

spain dad said...

Happy Birthday Gideon - a few days late and from Spain!

Bryna said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday Gideon! Sorry I couldn't be there, but I have a WONDERFUL gift for you. ;)

(And Alexa, your letter to your son is great and made my eyes well up with tears too. Thank you for sharing it with us as well as your son.)