Sunday, September 16, 2007

Reporting from Costa Rica: Part One

I have been in Costa Rica for over a week now, after not visiting in over 5 years. The last time I was here, I was unmarried, and obviously I didn't have an 11 month old baby with me. I wasn't a wife or a mother, I was simply a niece and a granddaughter. I was on vacation, without a care. I could jump into a taxi and be in San Jose, or jump on a bus and go to the beach. I could take a weekend and stay at a resort, or go ziplining through the rainforest. (I have never actually been ziplining, but I can dream).

Oh, how times have changed. I am still a niece and a granddaughter, but I no longer have the freedom to do whatever I wish. I cannot simply go, since you can't simply go anywhere with a giant stroller, a diaper bag and a pack-n-play. Don't get me wrong, I am having a ball introducing my son to my family. He has been a hit wherever he goes, flashing that smile, clapping his hands, and drooling. However, I have to admit, that I kind of miss being the center of attention. I mean, here I am the visting grandaughter/niece/cousin from the States that they haven't seen in forever. I come with gifts from Bath & Body Works.


I am used to being "chiniada" which is Costa Rican for being babied. See the picture above? My grandmother has that picture on her table in living room, along with other pictures of her grandchildren. That is me when I was 2 or 3, and I am pouting because I didn't get my way with something. I kind of miss being the sweet little girl that everyone used to buy gifts for and cook yummy things for, and just love to be around because I was so cute. For those of you that didn't know that I was so self-centered, well...now you know.


But guess who is the center of attention now? Guess who everyone buys gifts for, and makes yummy things to eat for? Guess who everyone likes being around because he is so cute? You guessed it:


I will be posting more soon. I am at my aunt's in San Jose right now. They have internet access, so I am more likely to log on. I have been at my grandmother's house in Puntarenas for a week, and we just got back today. My Abuela Miriam has been very ill, but she perked up when she saw the baby. He broke into this giant smile when he saw her, and I do believe he is speeding up her healing process. I will talk more about it in the next post. We are missing Alex very much, but I am happy that we are here. I feel like we are tying up loose ends.

1 comment:

Amy-Mama of 5 said...

Seriously...there's no way I'm Super Mom if YOU'RE posting from Costa Rica. I can barely post from Ramsey!!!!!!!!! =)
We miss you...(not just Gideon)...so come home soon. (I'm not just saying that because my cleaning lady's with you!)