Monday, September 03, 2007

Play It Again, Sam


While we were dating and in our mid-twenties, Alexa and I would go out almost daily. We attribute our "well-rounded" features to this early part of our relationship. I used to pick her up from work and then we headed to Joe's American Bar and Grill or went to see a movie. Sometimes we would take leisurely walks in the park where I protected her from aggressive geese.

Then she informed me of a trip that required her to leave Jersey. She was going to Disney World with her friends (you know who you are). More importantly, I was stuck in the Garden State without my best friend and love of my life. I was a bit heartbroken and thought for a moment that the time of her return was too far away. We talked on the phone every night for a week.

Now, we live under the same roof. And, the living arrangement of a happily married couple with everyday life challenges is at times something that is taken for granted. I know I'll wake up and she'll be there right beside me.

These days, not only do I know that she'll be there to my right, but I also know that my son, Gideon, is in the next room. All I have to do is get out of the bed, walk quietly into his room and check up on him to know that he is safe. As chief protector of the household, this is important to me.


However, starting Wednesday, it'll just be me and Miggy... like old times for the next 3 weeks. Except, I'll be missing 2 very important people, Alexa and Gideon. I have experience with missing Alexa, but this doesn't get old. Not having her around for even 2 days makes me miss her. But this is the first time I'll be apart from my son for such a long time.

I've taken up extra work to keep me busy. Plus, there are some things I can do around the house. Perhaps, paint the kitchen. Re-arrange the furniture maybe. What else....hmmmm....I can clean up the attic. Have a garage sale. Or maybe I can walk to White Manna in Hackensack everyday and drown my sorrows with their delicious burgers. I'll call it the White Manna diet. It is a considerable walk so I would probably lose some weight.

Or perhaps, I can replay the "Play it again, Sam" scene from Casablanca (though I think the phrase is actually a misquote....are there any movie buffs out there that can tell me the deal?)

Anyway, like in the "Play it again, Sam" scene, I can sit on a stool like Humphrey Bogart perched over the bar in a foggy, dimly-lit room at Joe's American Bar and Grill....wearing a trenchcoat and hat .... sipping on a ginger ale (though I'm sure Bogart wasn't drinking ginger ale) with a long face and contemplating past joys. Then I would tell Sam ... the piano player of course, in a low, melancholic voice "play it again, Sam." And he would commence to play the tune...one of Gideon's all time favorites....

"It's the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, come inside it's fun inside. M-I-C-K-E-Y. M-O-U-S-E. That's me!"

I'll miss both of them.

Here are some additional Labor Day 2007 pics.



By the way, Alexa's Grandma (Gideon's Great Grandma) is very ill ... please pray for strength of the Morales clan.

4 comments:

Alexa said...

Paint the kitchen!?! Rearrange the attic? The White Manna diet? Man, I am glad I read this blog, or else I would never find out these things.Hee hee.

Alexa said...

Also, excuse the sad white sheet over our lovely couches. We have a cat with claws. 'Nuff said.

Jane said...

Hey guys! Your photos each post are adorable! That one just doesn't quit! And, Gideon is pretty cute too! Hee Hee! Alexa, traveling mercies my friend! (I remember that trip to Florida fondly! Actually, I was reading a Nora Roberts on the plane to Rochester.) Good luck with your travels and I look forward to reading about it!

Amy-Mama of 5 said...

Seriously, I just had the extremes of emotions reading this. I laughed out loud...and cried. It's so sad that you'll be alone. You can come over and feed a baby anytime you want! That'd keep you out of white manna...

And it'd give me time to pick your brain on how to beautify my blog! =)