Friday, August 10, 2007

A Proverb to Live By



I was going to write about how the other day I was on my way to get a bagel and coffee to start off my day when I heard the news on the radio... Baby Einstein doesn't work. Apparently, a University of Washington study showed how babies who watched the popular series were verbally inept in comparison to those who didn’t watch the series. But, since Gideon has yet to see Baby Einstein, this news doesn’t really affect us.

But it did get me to thinking about the sounds Gideon hears when we try to get him to sleep… usually Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin and the like. Will he equate classical music to sleep time, or does it really enhance his brain development? Will this music give him the advantage in life making him more intelligent than other kids? I don’t know. In fact, I don’t know much. Maybe I should have listened to more classical music.

What I do know is that Alexa and I predominantly put classical music on because when we’re rocking him to sleep, the music adds to the mood of the moment. He looks around the room, the ceiling fan and then gazes upon my face. Occasionally, he stares at me when he thinks I’m unaware of it. He lays his shoulder on my chest and rubs his eyes, which is phase one of his strategy to convince us that it isn’t bedtime yet. Sometimes, his feistiness becomes overwhelming so we put him in the crib with his soft covered fabric book (so soft it’s like a pillow), bears and chew toys. At times, he whines. Other times, he is fine if I walk out the room. About 10 minutes later, I check up on him, finding that he has succumbed to the power of sleepiness.

He’s truly a smart kid. The wire bead maze frame, which is usually recommended for kids 12 months and up, is a piece of cake for him. He pushes all the beads up the wires and when he realizes they are no more beads, he holds onto the entire thing and flips it in his direction, forcing the beads back to their original positions, just so he can do it all over again and again. To attribute his intelligence to a music CD, DVD or even a book is not a fair assessment of his learning experiences.

As I see it, what matters is the love, guidance and attention parents give their children. Proverbs, Chapter 22:6 says, “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” Alexa and I believe this. We also know that if anything will give Gideon the advantage in life, it is the knowledge of loving his neighbor, as he loves himself. The rest will fall into place.

No comments: