Tuesday, June 26, 2007

One of Our Favorite Jaunts

It was almost 4 years ago that Alex and I took one of our usual walks on the New Jersey side of the Hudson river. It was a chilly night in November, and I was dressed in sweats, and my frizzy hair was pulled back into a sloppy ponytail. It was a night like any other, except for the fact that it was the night that my husband got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife.
A week ago, we decided that it was Gideon's time to take his first look at the NYC skyline. We took Route 4 to the Fort Lee exit, and drove into West New York. Alex technically proposed in Weehawken, but it's pretty much the same walk. We put him in the stroller and went into Hamilton Park. I pointed out that it seemed that LOOKING, WALKING and RELAXING were not permitted. We took a chance and did so anyway. We are rebels!

See my beautiful son? He really knows to look at the camera now. Gideon didn't really appreciate the view as much as he appreciated watching kids playing and dogs walking. It actually really struck me that the sight of the skyline is completely different to Gideon than it was to me when I was little. That he will always see it as it is now, never missing the fact that two towers are gone. I am glad, however, that he did not have to experience the horror of that day, and I pray he never will.

No comments: