Friday, May 11, 2007

Oh...he lives in a pineapple under the sea
...and my husband loves him.
So, yesterday I get home from work to find Alex sitting on the couch, freshly showered, and watching his new favorite show, Spongebob Squarepants. Notice I said Alex, and not Gideon. Gideon was at my mother-in-law's, and his cartoon of late is the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I have become used to my husband's regularly watched channels: History Channel, CNN, Travel Channel, but I did not realize that Nickelodeon had become one of them. I mean, I know I have come home and realize that he is singing the Wonder Pets theme song, or amusing Gideon with his own dorky version of "Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum...delicioso!" from Dora the Explorer. But that is all usually for Gideon's enjoyment, or because he has that Diego's rescue pack song stuck in his head AGAIN. (which, by the way, is very catchy, with a salsa beat)
I went into the living room, and said, "Honey, we have to go pick up the baby". To which he replied, "Ok, after this show is over". To which I replied, "this SHOW? Like in Spongebob Squarepants?". The sarcasm was evident, yet not appreciated. Later, as I continued mocking him, Alex accused me of being like Squidward. If you do not recognize the name, then obviously you aren't a Spongebob fan.
This is Squidward:

His reasoning for comparing me to the squid cartoon character? Because Squidward does not understand Spongebob's silly humor, as I apparently do not understand Alex's need for silly humor. Now, you might think that perhaps my husband would feel slightly ashamed for his love of a sponge with no pants. But he is shameless. He thinks it is hysterical.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

This is funny but I must point out that Alexa mentioned that SpongeBob had no pants but in fact he does have pants they are just square!

Alex Soto said...

For the record, SpongeBob has pants, hence the last name, SquarePants. duh.

Jane said...

Happy Mothers Day Alexa!

Amy Higby said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed out loud reading this. Bethany and Shane were having a serious conversation next to me and yet I still laughed out loud...then interrupted them...then read them the blog. You guys are hysterical! Let Alex know, when he's ready to potty train Gideon, Ty has a SpongeBob Square Pants Potty Seat! =)

Bryna said...

I secretly can't wait to have a child that watches cartoons so I can "watch along". Although, they will probaly like something that I don't want to watch...