Saturday, March 03, 2007


A Letter to My Husband on His 32nd Birthday

Dear Alex, (and no, I am not mad at you)*

I debated about using the blog to write you what would usually be a private letter. However, I feel compelled to let the world know (or at least our blog readers) what a wonderful husband you are. When we were dating, you told me that one of your life goals was to be able to stay home with your child. I remember thinking that it was sweet, but unlikely. I mean, how many men do you know that actually do that? And how many actually really set that to be a goal for their life? I can't tell you how many people are shocked when I tell them that you are the person at home with our baby.
Women (mothers especially) sigh wistfully as they imagine their husbands doing the same. Not too many men would be able to juggle the time consuming task of caring for and entertaining an infant, while at the same time managing to get their work done. (I still don't know what you do for a living:) And not too many men would love doing it, like you do. Thank you, honey, for allowing me to go to work everyday with peace in my heart. Thank you for paying most of the bills. Thank you putting up with my moods and my messiness. I love your sense of humor, I love your Louis Armstrong impression, which is just like your Cookie Monster impression. I love that Gideon looks like you. Happy Birthday, honey. May God bless you and keep you, may He shine His light upon you and give you peace.
All my love,
your wife Alexa
*I usually only call him Alex when I am mad at him. He tends to get the hunnie/sweetie treatment.

4 comments:

Leticia said...

HAPPY B-DAY ALEX

Bryna said...

Happy belated Birthday Alex!

And my co-worker calls her husband 'dubie'. I heard her on the phone and she was all "okay, dubie, alright dube-aroo... talk you you later dubie" and the like. I asked her after her phone call, "Do you ever call your husband Larry?" Her answer was, "only when talking to someone who doesn't know that I call him dubie." It made me laugh. I like the pet names. It's cute.

Cyndee said...

You guys are too stinkin' cute, I'm jealous. You remind me of your parents, Alexa. And mine too for that matter.

Amy said...

Okay...totally just felt like I stepped into a private Soto moment...and I LOVE IT! Y'all are too cute...

- Amy