Friday, November 03, 2006

Gideon's First Outing to the Library

Within minutes of Gideon's arrival to the library, his huge fan base of female librarians who have only seen him in pictures surrounded him.

It never ceases to amaze me how much power a baby has. Gideon's mere presence almost put everything at a stand still. He makes a noise, and the cumulative reaction of "awwwww" reaches the heavens.

Then comes, "he's so cute.... aren’t you just the cutest ever" comments. His eyes open and an overwhelming joy overtakes Alexa's co-workers as some (mainly Shin Nae) cheerfully jump in a celebratory fashion.

I remember the power of babies in the workplace early in my career. My career started in Public Relations, an occupation dominated primarily by women. When babies arrived at the office, all work stopped. The phones rang; fax machines overflowed with paper, and computers crashed. I never understood all the attention. They would call me and say, "Did you see the baby?" I would be like, "no, but I've seen babies before. What's different about this one?"

Now that I am a dad, I guess I understand it now. Gideon’s movements and non-movements alike hypnotize me. I find myself just staring at him in silence hoping that he notices me.

At the library today, all the women wanted to see a show, even if the performance was Gideon sleeping and making goo-goo noises. I noticed John, Alexa's co-worker, looking from a distance and I recalled the reaction of my teenage cousin, Joel, and of my older nephew, Luis, who is I believe 7 years old. When I asked them if they saw the baby. They both walked towards Gideon carefully and peeked in his direction about 5 feet away as if looking over a private, high-security, barbed-wire fence.

I also remembered my early days in Public Relations. It was at that very moment when I realized that a baby's presence brings to light the differences between men and women. To the manly men, like me, reading this blog, it may be hard to understand why women make such a huge hubbub about a baby in the workplace, but it's ok to join in. Don't be afraid. Get closer. Take a stand and make cute little baby noises -- "goo goo, gaga" and stuff like that.

Men, free yourselves from the bondage of manly reservation and speak baby language with fluency and less bass in your voice!

Of course, don't expect me to join in. I only speak to Gideon in a cute, slightly high-pitched voice when no one is looking.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I am so glad you update this blog often. I love checking in and seeing those beautiful pictures! Amazing since you both obviously have your hands full right now!

Can't wait to see you all!

Jenn