Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Baby at Work.

For those of you who don't know, I work from home. I consider it a blessing, but it can be a curse sometimes. There are days when I work non-stop, with limited breaks, in order to get work done for all my clients. Sometimes 16 hours a day. I try to bunch up my hours early in the week so that I can have my Saturdays free.

Here's a sad twist to all this. I recently discovered that the contract for my biggest client (I only have 2 clients and do freelance work on the side) was not going to renew my contract for next year. So I may be forced to seek a full-time job which will disallow me to be a stay-at-home dad. Naturally, I'm a little sad about it. So, when I woke up yesterday, I told Alexa that I wanted to take Gideon to work, which is located across the dining room in a sectioned space in the living room. I requested this for two reasons: my chance to spend as much time as I can with Gideon may be gone soon and I felt the work day was going to be very long.

I was right about the long work day. It was jam-packed with activities and then I received new "rush" projects. Somehow I was able to spend more time than ever with Gideon. Who can resist the face (not mine) in the picture above? Not me. As I held Gideon at work with my right arm, I discovered that I am quite talented typing with one hand, while singing to him following the music playing from my iTunes, and at one point simultaneously petting our cat Miggy.

I made lots of typos.

Ok, so I am not Super Dad.

But, this experience has reinforced my dedication to the dream of staying home with Gideon. I haven't ruled full-time employment entirely, but I'm confident that it will all work out where I can still be the primary caretaker for Gideon come January 07. I've prayed about it, thought about, and talked about it with friends and family. Your thoughts and prayers wouldn't hurt.

Oh, by the way, Gideon is 3 weeks old today! Time truly goes by fast.

1 comment:

Bryna said...

It will all work out in the end. Good luck with either the job hunt, or the client hunt...